Yesterday was one of those days when I didn't get much time in my sewing room. There was laundry to do and other tasks not nearly as enjoyable as stitching. Finally in the afternoon, I was able to get some time in and managed to make some patriotic banners that I had pinned on Pinterest.
Next I laid a ruler on the bottom edge, so that the edge of my ruler was 1 3/4" from the bottom. I centered the flag along the edge and once it was where I wanted it to be, I used a glue stick to hold it in place. I made six at a time. Once they were all glued, I stitched the flag on with a zigzag stitch. When I had six, I sewed them onto brown twine. First I wrapped up about 18" of twine and clipped it with one of those red clips. This would be the tie at one end. Then I just sewed the burlap pieces one at a time around the twine. I left another 18" at the other end for the other tie. While I was zigzagging the pieces, I did some stitching over the twine to secure the burlaps so they would not slide off one end. I made two strings of 6 for my porch.
I like the way they look, but I'm a little uncomfortable with this project. In all of my patriotic décor I take care to treat any actual flags with respect. I feel like this project may come up to "the line" or else cross it a little bit into the disrespectful zone. I'm giving it a little bit of time to see how I feel. If I continue to be unhappy with it, I will take it down.
Since I was outside with the camera, I set up several photo shoots for later posts. It wasn't that hot out, but boy was it humid! I really hate humidity. In about 5 minutes, I was dripping. I persevered, though, since the light was good and now I have other things to show.
When I was done with the photography, I got the mail and I found a nice package! Doniene at Now It's Just Quilts had a giveaway a week or two ago and I won one of her small, patriotic quilts!
I really love that she put a personalized label on the back. Isn't the backing fabric, with the patriotic bows, just the perfect thing!
Have a great day,