Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Scrap Basket Sunday #7

Hi Everyone,

I am back again with another smallish scrap quilt.  I made this on Friday and Andrea kept me company while I did it.  Andrea was the first tropical storm of the season.  She brought us rain--lots and lots of rain with an occasional rumble of thunder. 

 
This is a pattern from a Jo Morton book.
 
 
 
 
The center 'panel' is cut from a Jo Morton fabric.  She first released it with her Fredericksburg line, and has re-released it with Banner Day, and now Jo's Favorites.  You may recognize it--I used it in the courthouse steps quilt that I showed the other day, fussy-cutting it for the center squares.  When I began this quilt, I looked at the photo to see how many stars are in the 'panel' and I cut it out.  When I measured it, it didn't match the measurements in the instructions at all! Hmm.  The instructions next said to frame it with 1.5" strips and then to make the border from 1.5" strips, but I decided to use 1.25" strips instead--thinking that it would be easier to adjust for my "off" panel measurements. 
 
I began putting all the strips around the panel and once they were done, I got out my scrap strip bins for the border.  I keep bins of 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2, and 2.5 inch strips.  I began with the 1.25" strips and pulled out all the reds and creams.  Then I continued to the other bins.  As I found larger strips, I just trimmed them to the 1.25" that I needed.  Although my completed border strips needed to be 4.5" wide,  I sewed together strip sets at various lengths and then trimmed them down to 5" sections.  Once I felt I had enough 5" sections, I sewed them together to the correct length needed for each border and then did a final trim to 4.5."  As far as the "off measurements" went, everything worked out fine.
 

 
I think when this gets quilted it will look lovely over the back of a bench or sofa.  Or even on a table.

 
During the storm on Friday, it became very obvious that our gutters were full and blocked in areas.  We spent yesterday doing that "lovely" chore.  I only had to hold the ladder for my husband--he had to climb all the way to the top (we have a two story house) to clean them out.  The pine needles and leaves he scooped out were fermenting a bit and didn't smell so good.  Anyway, it was a not a fun job and it was hot and humid as well, but it is done now!  We treated ourselves to dinner out as a reward.
 
I hope today can be spent with better pursuits.  Have a great day everyone!
JoAnne

16 comments:

  1. Great job! 39 days of patriotic projects is quite an undertaking. I look forward each day to see what you have for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful little quilt, you know I love flags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! And it looks so good on the red bench in the outdoor picture! I too, look forward to seeing the patriotic projects you are making... you are so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanne for becoming a follower! I love your little quilt and will have to try to find the book; maybe on Amazon?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a coincidence, we just finished the gutter job here! We had the tail end of Hurricane Andrea, mostly impacted on Friday, but not too badly. I like your little patriotic quilt, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute mini! You are tempting me to make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your red, white and blue fabrics never seem to let you down - it's a lovely little quilt you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so cute! I just finished a RWB quilt too, using the same Jo Morton star fabric - will try to post pictures on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is pretty!

    I'm glad you were safe during Andrea. Cleaning out gutters doesn't sound like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute, cute!!! I'm loving all your patriotic projects!!!

    Glad you got the gutters done and no other damages!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another fantastic little quilt! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute! That star fabric is the same I used in the little quilt I hung on the magnetic curtain rod on my back door--I love that fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this patriotic quilt! Don't you just love Jo's patterns - and her fabrics! I have several colors of the stars but have yet to use them. I know I will eventually. I loved reading how you worked out the math to make this work for your center. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing what you pulled together from the "scrap basket". Great patriotic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doing the "happy dance" because while I love company ... I will be ALONE after today and that means QUILT ROOM TIME!!! My head is whirling with which project I will finish/start first! Love having my morning tea with your blog, Joanne! Also ... love Jo Morton and hate cleaning gutters!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing all your new quilts--I have some yardage of Jo's star fabric in my stash and have planned to do both the quilts you recently showed, but other things seem to get in the way!

    ReplyDelete