I am back again with another smallish scrap quilt. I made this on Friday and Andrea kept me company while I did it. Andrea was the first tropical storm of the season. She brought us rain--lots and lots of rain with an occasional rumble of thunder.
This is a pattern from a Jo Morton book.
The center 'panel' is cut from a Jo Morton fabric. She first released it with her Fredericksburg line, and has re-released it with Banner Day, and now Jo's Favorites. You may recognize it--I used it in the courthouse steps quilt that I showed the other day, fussy-cutting it for the center squares. When I began this quilt, I looked at the photo to see how many stars are in the 'panel' and I cut it out. When I measured it, it didn't match the measurements in the instructions at all! Hmm. The instructions next said to frame it with 1.5" strips and then to make the border from 1.5" strips, but I decided to use 1.25" strips instead--thinking that it would be easier to adjust for my "off" panel measurements.
I began putting all the strips around the panel and once they were done, I got out my scrap strip bins for the border. I keep bins of 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2, and 2.5 inch strips. I began with the 1.25" strips and pulled out all the reds and creams. Then I continued to the other bins. As I found larger strips, I just trimmed them to the 1.25" that I needed. Although my completed border strips needed to be 4.5" wide, I sewed together strip sets at various lengths and then trimmed them down to 5" sections. Once I felt I had enough 5" sections, I sewed them together to the correct length needed for each border and then did a final trim to 4.5." As far as the "off measurements" went, everything worked out fine.
During the storm on Friday, it became very obvious that our gutters were full and blocked in areas. We spent yesterday doing that "lovely" chore. I only had to hold the ladder for my husband--he had to climb all the way to the top (we have a two story house) to clean them out. The pine needles and leaves he scooped out were fermenting a bit and didn't smell so good. Anyway, it was a not a fun job and it was hot and humid as well, but it is done now! We treated ourselves to dinner out as a reward.
I hope today can be spent with better pursuits. Have a great day everyone!