Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blogger Girls Block of the Month. Completed!

Hi Everyone!

I am so excited that I was able to finish up my Blogger Girls Block of the Month quilt this week!  As you may know, I've been working on this project since January.  It is designed by Monique Dillard at Open Gate Quilts.  She has the patterns on her website for free for just another month, so if you are at all interested in this project, hurry over to get the patterns.

Also, if you remember, the idea was that one different block pattern would be available each month for a total of six.  You can make it once for a small quilt, or the other idea was to make a second block--altering fabric value/color placement to yield a second block that looks much different from the first.  This was the "draw" that got me to do the project.  I found it really fun to see how much I could change the block.

Here are June's blocks.  I think this was my favorite one of all six.

 
This is the first one I did.

 


 
And this is the second one.
 
 
Luckily I had done the sashings  already.  I find that the odds are better that I finish a project if I can do so while I'm still "excited" about it.  As soon as the excitement wanes, the project languishes.  So all I had to do was lay out the blocks, add the sashings, and start assembling.  Then I sewed on the borders and it was done!


It was hard to get a good photo.  The sun tended to wash it out.  We had lots of rain the day before, so I had to be careful not to get it in the mud outside.  Here is a photo from inside of the border detail:

Now you can tell that my border was the focus fabric that I used in many of the blocks.  It was a really fun inspiration fabric and I had great fun fussy-cutting it for some of the blocks.

When I finished, my sewing room was a total mess, so I spent a few hours putting away fabric, sweeping the floor, etc.  I even got everything off my cutting table and scrubbed it.  It is lovely to have a "clean slate" to begin to mess up again!

Don't expect another finished quilt tomorrow!  I haven't begun anything new yet, and right now I'm not sure what the next patriotic project is going to be--I have several ideas, though.

Have a great day!
JoAnne

10 comments:

  1. Lovely job! And so prompt to!
    I thought of you when I saw this free pattern online
    http://www.quiltersnewsletter.com/content_downloads/QNMP-130700-Firework-WEB_8360.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORE your border/focus fabric on this one ... REALLY nice. I admire people who can "stash" something because they know they might not have something in mind for it immediately but down the road it works ... love this fabric!! I have saved all the patterns for this project ... plan to make one as well. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, JoAnne! And I'm having a really hard time seeing the duplicates in that quilt......the blocks look SO different! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous quilt JoAnne! The border fabric is fantastic... I love the colorfulness (is that a word?) of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Jo-Anne! Great finish, before any of the girls who are hosting have too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how different the blocks look with the alternate values-I never would have guessed they were the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, it's the Bird of Paradise fabric! I haven't seen it before. Your quilt is beautiful! Great job JoAnne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, JoAnne!!!!! I LOVE your version!!!! I so need to get busy on mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful! The blue fabric really makes the quilt sparkle.

    ReplyDelete