Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Scrap Basket Sunday #6

Hi Everyone,

I knew it had been a while since I joined in with Kim and her Scrap Basket Sunday, but I didn't realize it had been nearly a month!  I guess I have been busy with other projects.  I am also trying to spend these 39 days from Memorial Day until the Fourth of July (my favorite time of year!) making only patriotic projects.  I have such a pile of red, white, and blue items that I want to make, that I'm sure there will be plenty to keep me busy!

So today's project features a scrappy, patriotic quilt!  I have long been wanting to make a tumbler/thimble quilt, and so when Carrie came out with her Crumbler and Lil' Crumbler, I ordered them. 

Several versions of this are floating around so it didn't really require a pattern.


I decided to use the Lil' Crumbler ruler and 2.5" strips so I pulled out my strip bin and scraps and began cutting away at the reds and creams.  I wanted variety but still cut as many from a scrap or strip as I could, so I ended up with enough to make at least 3 more of these!  I also started cutting blues, but then I decided that I only wanted to use star fabric, so I only used them.  I must confess, I had to pull out a few fat quarters to get enough of the stars, but otherwise, this is all cut from scraps.

 
This is the Lil' Crumbler template.  It was fun to use! 
 
 
Since I had never made a tumbler quilt before, I wasn't sure how it was going to go together, but it did so like a dream!  I pressed the long, pieced strips in opposite directions and then everything nestled perfectly when they went together.
 
 
 
 
What surprised me a bit was that the Lil' Crumble is longer and skinnier than a typical tumbler shape, so my flag came out longer and skinnier.  I love that, though--perfect for a flag!  This version, cut from 2.5" strips is small--it measures 9.5" x 20.5." My big problem is that I don't want to trim the flag into a rectangle--I think the "wavy-ness" of the tumble shapes contributes to the look of a flag waving in the breeze, so binding this baby may be a challenge!  Do any of you have any hints?
 
Meanwhile, I would love to try using different sizes and the larger template, the Crumbler, to see how different it can look.  Maybe someday....
 
Have a great day!
JoAnne



19 comments:

  1. I love it JoAnne!. How about facing the quilt instead of binding? It might look more flag-like and it would be easier than binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does "facing" a quilt mean? How do you do that??

      Delete
  2. Love your flag and all the fabrics in it! I bought the Crumbler, but of course, haven't used it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I, too, love the way it is waving. I like Joan's idea of facing the quilt. However, if you do decide to bind it, I would use a bias binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just adorable! I like the look of the Lil' Crumble a lot... and I should get busy with a patriotic project this month as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!! Not sure if it would work for our flag, but it sure works for yours. I might be wrong, but I bought the crumblers while in the U.S. and it seems to me you can make them in several lengths..no?
    As far as binding..I once did a table runner that angled in out like that and I thought it would be a nightmare to do but I just sort of mitred as usual on points and kind of opened the valleys and applied the binding and folded in naturally (sort of an inside mitre). It really was not difficult at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it JoAnne. And you are absolutely right, the wavy edges make it look like it's flying in the wind a little. Absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your flag! I think worth taking the time to bind all the angles rather than trim them straight. I think JayBirdQuilts has a tutorial for binding a lot of angles, or you should be able to find one on the internet somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very cute Joann. How about a gingham fabric for the binding? I didn't realize Carrir's Crumblers were skinnier, but like you said that made it nice for a flag. What a great idea to make lots of patriotic quilts between now and 4th of July. Flag Day is June14th so definitely a flag quilt would be good for that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great. I love your patriotic projects. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your tumbler flag JoAnne! Super cute idea to use all blue star fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE it! I've never seen the tumbler blocks made into a flag before--excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the ripply effect on your flag - great work! It might be worth it to mitre the binding as on a standard quilt as it would really preserve and accentuate the shape... it's only 2 sides - not 4...!!!! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really, really, REALLY like this flag. I am going to have to see if my LQS has this tumbler/ruler ... hopefully there are other patterns it could be used in as well. Thanks for sharing ... you did a beautiful job with your fabric selections!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful flag quilt!
    Your fabric selecting is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tumbler pattern for this quilt. It really does look like it is a waving flag. Great choices for the stars in the blue section.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the wavy edges! Binding it wouldn't be too difficult, but I think it may detract from the waviness. I would agree that facing it would be best or the "birthing" method of layering with the batting and backing, sewing all around (leaving an opening) and then turning right sides out. I think your little flag would make a great front door banner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, of course you did! What a clever idea to make a flag... and just in time for summer. I love it, you are just so clever!

    ReplyDelete