Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Fireworks Quilt

Hi Everyone,

Do you remember last week when I said I was working away on a new project, but there really wasn't much to show at the time?  Well, I got it pieced.  I have been wanting to make this quilt for a few years now, ever since I got my copy of Kim Brackett's Scrap-Basket Surprises.  I love her quilts!  They are so much fun to make!

 
In the version in the book, a fireworks batik was used for the border, so I immediately set about looking for navy blue, fireworks fabric.  I found one and ordered it a year or so ago.  Then a few months ago, I stumbled on this Jo Morton fabric and fell in love, so I got it, too.  The original will work for a later project!



Here is a close-up of this wonderful fabric.  You can also see that I mitered the corners.  Even though it meant a few weird bits along the seam line--where the fireworks don't meet up, I thought it would be better than butted borders or even corner stones.  I thought a lot about what to do, and this worked for me. 
 
I think I 'm going to name it "Inferno Fireworks" because I listened to Dan Brown's newest book, Inferno, while working on this.  It was a great, fun book in the "on the run, puzzle-solving, obscure history, with bad guys chasing Robert Langdon" style that Dan Brown does so well.  I highly recommend it.
 
Have a great day!
JoAnne

11 comments:

  1. Love, love, love it!!! Bravo for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! So many great fabrics - I love the red and white stripe, to me stripes just really add something to an already special quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What perfect fabric choices for a fireworks quilt! Great pattern with lots of movement really sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I'm going to have to search for that book, because I love the pattern! Love your fabrics... the blue fireworks are just perfect for the border! Was it a quick block to make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt - I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracious girl! Look at you go! You are pumping out the projects like crazy. Good on you! I love this one...great scrap project too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow it looks fabulous. You're really going for it. Love the firework fabric. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt! I have a couple RWB UFOs that I need to work on to get ready for the 4th. Thanks for reminding me with your fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the scrap basket books! Your quilt looks great in your colours. I'll have to check out the book. I've read and enjoyed his others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo's fabric is perfect for that border! I hope to read the new Dan Brown if I ever finish the Fire and Ice/Game of Thrones series--I'm half way through book four.

    ReplyDelete