Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Flag Fun

Hi Everyone,

I'm almost done with the initial list of patriotic quilts that I wanted to make during this 39 days of Patriotism, but I have a few more in mind, if I have time.  I'm running low on some of my favorite red fabrics so I may have to do a bit of shopping to replenish the stash!

Last week when I showed  you the finds that came home with me from the antique shops, I mentioned how I had found 49 star flags and didn't know they were prevalent.  After posting the blog, I went and rounded up all the vintage flags that I have that I assumed were 50 star flags and examined them. 

 
This is the star field for a 48 star flag.  It has 6 rows of 8 stars in a grid pattern.  The grid pattern makes them very easy to spot.
 
 
This is a modern, 50 star flag.  The stars are in alternate rows of 6 and 5.  There are 5 rows of 6 (30)and four rows of 5 (20)  The stars are not in a regular pattern, but appear more diagonally arranged.

 
And this is the field for a 49 star flag.  It has 7 rows of 7 stars, but instead of being regularly placed, like the 48 star flag, they are alternated for the diagonal look of a modern flag.  So at a quick glance, most people would assume that it is a 50 star flag.  Hence my confusion.  I think the arrangement makes it look like there are missing stars.
 
I did a little check on history, and when Alaska became a state on January 3, 1959, the first 49 star flag was made and flown over Independence Hall in Philadelphia on 4 July, 1959.  It was only official for one year when, after the admittance of Hawaii, the 50 star flag was first flown 4 July, 1960. 
 
There is occasional talk about Puerto Rico or another protectorate of the US becoming a 51st state.  I wonder how they would arrange the stars then?
 

 
 
The good news is that while looking through all my flags, I found a 49 star!  I was thrilled.  When my husband came home from work, I announced that I had something really exciting to show him.  I don't think a 49 star flag was what he was expecting or hoping for!

We spent a quiet weekend just hanging around the house.  After our trip, that was what we both were happy doing.  I spent some time in the sewing room, though, and have things to show later. 

Have a great day!
JoAnne

5 comments:

  1. If they do decide to add another State, I am sure you would be the perfect candidate to be on the committee - thanks for all the historic star info - I love learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how adding one star changed the look of the flag! Very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you found out you already owned one! I would guess that they are pretty rare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My understanding is that 49 star flags are rare. Living in a Alaska I would love to find one. Anyone who has one up here keeps it tucked away as a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting, I don't think I have ever seen the 49 star American flag. Thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete