Alex's quilt went together so easily. The cutting and piecing were pretty simple, yet the finished flower block is so cute. Borders were next. The blue inner border was easy enough. The pink outer border was a whole different matter. The fabric is tricky. There are clusters of flowers, about the size of a hand, scattered on the fabric, so I didn't want to just haphazardly cut and sew. I carefully examined the fabric and saw that the clusters were positioned in near rows down the length of the fabric. (I had bought enough fabric to cut the borders from the length to avoid joining seams.) Across the 40-42 inch width of fabric were 4 1/2 rows. (Why is there always a half? At least it wasn't 3 1/2 though) The rows were 8-9 inches wide, and my border needed 6 inch wide strips, so I centered the 6 inches over the row as best as I could. I cut the first row. Of the 4 rows, there were two identical pairs--all 4 were not the same. I carefully lined up the first one I had cut on top of it's matching pair to cut an identical 6" border strips. These would be the top and bottom. I cut another strip from the third row, and an identical mate from the last row to use for the 2 sides of the quilt. I determined an identical center point in all four strips--the white center of the orange flower.
While pondering all my options, and carefully studying things, now I'm not sure I like the orange and yellow flowers. They were fabrics in the same line as the border, and they match perfectly, I just don't like how "strong" they are--they don't look like they belong. Ugh! This quilt was supposed to be easy!