Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Shamming Around

Hi Everyone!

It is a late blog post for the day because I was shamming.  I wish I could say I was just sitting downstairs in the cool AC browsing on Pinterest all day, but instead, I was upstairs in my quilt room, which is temporarily without air conditioning (the guy was here today and it is going to mean a new unit--I'm glad we are just renting) working on these.


 Yep, pillow shams.  They are to go with the quilt I made my daughter.  You probably remember it, but if not, here is a reminder.

 
For the shams, I used a Schnibble pattern--Plan C.  Not only is the pattern perfect, with stars and squares, but three rows of it fit a pillow almost perfectly.


I knew I wanted to make these when I was working on the extra border to the quilt, so I made sure that I had the proper size strips left over.  I made the flying geese units with my Fit to Be Geese ruler, which I love.  Then I just needed lots of 4-patches.  I got the centers of the shams done yesterday.

Then I spent quite some time on Pinterest and Google looking for easy flanged sham directions.  I swear I just read a neat idea on someone's blog, but couldn't remember it.  I finally gave up and just proceeded as I normally do--I've made shams before. 

Today, I put the borders on, layered the tops with batting and a lining, and quilted them both.  Then I put the backs on and finished them up. 

Speaking of Google, did any of you see the Google header today?  It featured the winner of the national "Doodle for Google" school contest.  It was a real tear-jerker.  You can click on the link to see it.

Earlier this week I managed to get this month's Schnibble, Gentle Art, quilted, bound, and washed.  This morning I had a bit of a photo shoot with it.  This is my favorite picture:


This weekend is a holiday weekend here in the US.  It is for Memorial Day.  My husband has Friday and Monday off so we are leaving tomorrow for a few days.  We are traveling up north a bit to Maryland and NOVA (northern Virginia).  The destinations are the Antietam and Manassas Civil War Battlefields.  I'm planning to visit some quilt shops, too.

Have a great weekend!
JoAnne

3 comments:

  1. While living in Pittsburgh, PA we used to visit many of the Civil War memorial sites. You will find Antietam (or Sharpsburg, depending on which side you fought) and Manassas battlefields VERY emotional and moving. Like Gettysburg they are treated as hallow ground and deservedly so. Enjoy your getaway and thank your husband for his service to our country ... it is not taken for granted. Freedom is NOT free ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shams look so good and match the original quilt really well - it really is a lovely pattern you've used. Gentle Art is also very lovely. Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one talent we will be watching...you are so good with unique design...

    ReplyDelete