Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Quilt Shop Sale and Celebration

Hi Everyone!

On Saturday, a few friends and I went to Millstone Quilts up in Mechanicsville, VA (near Richmond.)  They were having an annual sale, (25% off everything!) quilt show, and free barbecue.  We departed from home with the weather overcast and spitting.  Since they hang the quilts outside, we were wondering if it show would still be going on, but it was.  It was overcast and chilly there, but not raining.  I think by the afternoon, the sun came out, but we had moved on by then.




 
The quilts are so lovely and charming.  It was great fun to see them hanging.  I have many quilts that I wouldn't mind showing out of doors, but to see a version of Dear Jane out where the birds could leave a calling card, worried me a bit.  It was a gorgeous quilt, though!




 
The quilt shop is really a favorite.  It is in a historic mill, out in the country and is so quaint.  It is also chock full of great stuff.

 

After we shopped, we enjoyed the barbecue and then set off.  As we were pulling away, someone suggested that we go to a shop in Richmond, since we were so close.  I had not been to any of the shops there, so I was very interested.  I will say one thing, though--once you have been to a shop where everything is 25% off, it isn't as much fun to visit another shop, or two.
 
The second shop that we visited (Quilting Adventures) was set up more for the modern quilter.  They have lots of solids and the more contemporary, modern fabric.  They also had a nice selection of batiks, though.  I just got some thread and a little kit that I will attempt to make and show later.
 
As we were leaving that shop, they decided to go to another one that they said was really nice and in a quaint area--so off we went.  The third shop was Quilters Corner in Midlothian and I really enjoyed that shop, too.  They had a nice selection of the types of fabric that I like, but more importantly, I found several bolts of Lori Holt's Sew Cherry in the clearance area!  I must confess that a great deal of it came home with me.  I still have a fat quarter pack of Sew Cherry and I really want to make another quilt with it. 
 
It was a really great day, but the best part was just being out with quilting friends.  I hope you all have had a chance lately to spend time with other quilters.  They are some of the best people in the whole world!
 
Have a great day!
JoAnne
 
 

 

6 comments:

  1. There is something so appealing about quilts hanging on a line outdoors. If I wasn't a quilter I would become one just to be able to do that.
    I agree about spending a day with quilting friends. They are just such a nice "breed" of gals! I will be going to our guild meeting tonight to see my quilting friends. It's been ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fun day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day - 25% off - what a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing more fun than a FART (fabric accumulation road trip) with your quilting buddy's--except one that includes a sale to boot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilts I wish shows in the UK had more traditional quilts, alot of them are modern not to my taste. Sew Cherry you lucky thing I tried to get that when it was released, but I couldn't find anywhere in the UK that stocked it :(
    A 25% reduction great. Melanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Millstone Quilt shop! I'll miss it when we leave this side of the country...definitely worth the trip if we're ever close again!

    ReplyDelete