Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Patriotic Project #1


Hi Everyone!

My first patriotic project does not involve quilting.  Have you seen this on Pinterest or in blogland?






I have been drooling over it for more than a year now.  The other day when I went to my local craft store, I spied the flag picks on sale, so I scooped up several  all they had.  The link to the original post can be found here.  The instructions were pretty brief and described the materials more than the technique.

I got a styrofoam wreath of about the size mentioned and opened my picks and starting sticking them in.  I got maybe 75 in and didn't really like it.  I consulted the photo from the blog (above) and realized that I was putting the flags in like this:
When I looked at the inspiration photo, I could tell that the flags were put in vertically, not horizontally.  So I first tried to twist them, but discovered that I broke fewer of the toothpicks by just pulling them out and beginning again.

In this photo, you can see that I am now sticking them in more vertically.  After I did a bunch more, I realized  that you could just look straight through the flags to the Styrofoam.  I didn't want that, so I took them out again and reinserted them in at an angle--so they were leaning to the right a bit.

Here you can maybe see about how far apart they are.

I kept it up, worrying about the last bit--when I would have to tuck them under the area where I began.  Since they were "leaning," I thought it may be tricky, but it wasn't.


Here it is--all complete.  I think I used more than 300 flags--probably closer to 350.  You can still see a bit of white under the flags, but it will be okay.  I have it hanging on my front door for the photo, but since I don't have a storm door, it will be exposed to wind and rain, and I don't want it to get damaged, so I will probably hang it inside. 

It was a fairly easy project, once I figured out exactly how to do it. 

I hope you all have a great day!
JoAnne

15 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I'm going to look for those little flags now! Thanks for the tips on how to place them.....I'm sure it would have taken me a LOT longer to figure it out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Looks great on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Love your patriotic projects!! Can't wait to see the next!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE!!!!!!! Looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, I have to try it. Off to Hobby Lobby I go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so cute for not only Mem. Day but also the 4th of July! I'm kind of dying to try making one now. :D Looks like something a little one could help with too. Thanks for sharing it! Love how it turned out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This is the cutest wreath! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this looks great! And so very necessary for your household. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi JoAnne,
    I have seen this on Pinterest and always loved it. I think yours turned out great!. Thanks for sharing it at the patriotic link party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is cute! Love the way it turned out!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I <3 patriotic and your pretty flag wreath! Pinned

    ReplyDelete