It was a wall-hanging sized quilt in McCalls from last year's May/June issue. I fell immediately in love and knew it would be our next bed quilt. In the meantime I had to move from Hawaii to Virginia and boy that was a long process that wasn't really complete until August and in the midst of it all, we got a new, king-sized bed, so I had to refigure everything.
I began making star blocks. A few weeks ago I had this stack of 84 or so. I needed 100.
I got them all done but it was NO FUN sewing all those star blocks to each others. The seam allowances were all pressed the same way. It was sewing over hills and valleys. Luckily, when I complained about it here, many of you wrote to say I could do it! And so I perservered.
Then I began on the borders. Around the big block of 100 stars went a cream border (cut at 2" finishing at 1.5") then a navy border (also cut 2") a gold border (cut 1" finishing at .5") and then another red border (cut 2.") I was about to start the red borders when I realized my math was wrong and that I "grew" the quilt by nearly 2 inches. UGH! I had to rip off all the borders down to the cream one and begin again.
I got the inner borders all on and began with the double-sawtooth borders. When I make half-square triangles, I cut a bit larger and then trim them down to the correct measurement so that they fit perfectly. There was a lot of trimming to do, but Harry Potter on the audiobooks helped pass the time. I think I've listened to all all those books at least 10 times, if not more. They entertain me, but if I miss part of it, no big deal.
Anyway, Saturday morning was the big day! I finished!!!!! Next up, photography. Only it rained or snowed most of the day. Sunday morning it was sunny, but still a bit slushy, so we waited. Finally, in the afternoon it was a bit breezy, but otherwise okay to take photos.
It finishes at 108" square. King-sized! I was really liking it all blue and white, but once I added the first red border, it really started singing to me!
Here is a detail of those pesky inner borders which I had to remove and redo.
Cream, navy, gold, and red.
I almost didn't use the gold border, but I think that it brings a lot to the party. That little jolt of difference really packs a punch.
I love the variety of blues in the stars. If we look at the whole thing again, notice how the different blues shimmer across the quilt.
It was a bit windy, but my darling husband managed the quilt on a ladder, clamped to a length of bamboo.
The original quilt was designed by Lynn Lister. I enlarged the stars to finish at 8" and my large sawtooth border consisted of 6" half-square triangles and the smaller one is made of 3" half-square triangles. Changing the sizes of the units helped keep my much-larger project more in scale to hers, but also allowed me to make far less stars than I would have needed if they were smaller.
I am so tickled that this project is finally done--except for the long-arm quilting. I'll be sending it off soon.
Maybe it will actually make it onto the bed before winter is technically over!
I hope you all have a great day!