Since it is nearly the end of the month, it is time for me to share the August Schnibble. Sinta and Sherri host Another Year of Schnibbles and each month, on the first, they feature the parade of the Schnibbles made for that month and then they announce the pattern for the next month. I have been having so much fun doing them this year. I have missed one month, June, but hope to get that one made one of these days before the end of the year, so I will have 12 lovely quilts.
Are you familiar with Schnibbles? They are the creations of Carrie Nelson and you can find them at lots of quilt shops or at the link I provided. I love making them because they are usually fairly small (finishing around 40"-45"), you can use charm packs to make them (a perfect chance to play with fabrics you may not usually be drawn to), and they generally go together quickly and easily.
The pattern for this month is Dimestore.
I like how the pattern features the lighter fabric in the larger pieces. Initially, my thought was to do something not from a charm pack, but from my stash of patriotic fabrics. I figured that I had a light patriotic print that would be fun to feature. I went up to search. That was the day I ended up going through all my fabric, removing it from the large bins, folding it in that neat way around a 6 inch ruler, and stacking it on my shelves. In the process of going through all my fabric, I came across this set of charm squares and some extra yardage that I bought earlier this summer.
It is Seaside by October Afternoon by Riley Blake
I know both October Afternoon and Basic Gray from way back when they were scrapbooking paper lines. I love that they are now fabric, too! I fell in love with the "vintagy" look of this Seaside line.
I decided that the light print with the children on it would be ideal for the larger areas in Dimestore. I ordered a yard of it so that I could do some fussy cutting. I realized that the charm packs would not be enough, so I also got a layer cake.
I needed 64 of these 3.5" squares and I thought a yard would be enough. It wasn't, though. I was two or three short!
I had some thinner strips that I thought I could piece together, and so I did. I think they matched up pretty good and I was willing to use them, but then I remembered that there was a square of it in the layer cake, and I was able to get all I needed out of it.
I'm sorry that the photos turned themselves. It would be so nice is Blogger had the ability to rotate!
I began working on the pattern, and really, the most difficult part was all the fussy-cutting. Once I had everything all ready, it just flew together.
I pieced the back from the leftovers.
I just love binding with a plaid or stipe!
I'm really pleased with it! This week I got it quilted and bound.
I had high hopes of taking it to a beach for the photo shoot, but our weather has not cooperated. We have had lots of bad weather including flooding rains, so I was forced to do an indoor shoot.
I'm looking forward to the upcoming parade. I hope you all check it out.