Never mind that I have several quilts in process or that I STILL haven't gotten everything hung up upstairs--I got distracted from all of that with this:
I was clicking around in blogland (no pinterest, yet, I figure I get into enough trouble with blogs) and came across this project here and was smitten. All the supplies you need are a ball of twine, a glue gun, a stick for the stem, and then a roll of toilet paper. Yep! The full roll! If you are interested, click over to the link and read her instructions. They are spot on. The only thing different for me was that I used a full ball of twine, but maybe ours is a different thickness or something. Basically, you wind the twine around the roll of TP until it is all covered.
I began and was having fun but then it got old fast. I forgot how much I really don't like the glue gun. Those strings drive me bananas and I always burn my fingers. Also, you will want to pay attention when she says to cut the string into manageable lenghts. My lengths were a bit less than a yard, but it was still no fun stuffing the end through the tube of TP. In retrospect, I should have used a bit of masking tape to tape the end to a bamboo skewer or something to make it easier.
Regardless of the process, the result is fabulous! The fact that it was looking so neat is what kept me at it. I also was doing it in the living room so I could watch tv, and the mess was keeping me focused, too. I had asked my husband if we had a branch in the compost pile that could work for a stem and he brought me this one. It couldn't be more perfect, and he said it was just laying out in the yard!
Now that it is complete, I love it! I'm really pleased with how it came out, but I don't think I'll be making any more!