It was just over 6 weeks ago that I got to spend the day with Bonnie Hunter working on this project. As you may recall, I took it to my retreat in April and did a whole bunch of work on it. I was hoping to finish it there, but I didn't get all of the flying geese completed, and then I realized I had cut the scrappy sashing strips incorrectly (9" instead of 9.5") I lost the momentum at retreat but when I got home, I put some of the finished blocks up on the design wall to relook the sashing. I was going to cut more scrappy pieces, but as I was pulling out fabric, I came across a patriotic, star-studded piece that I really liked. I thought it would add a patriotic touch to my Talkin Turkey. I cut a few strips and put them up, but couldn't get a good enough look, so I cut even more.
See the strips with the stars and light red stripes?
I started second-guessing the choice. I thought the stars were a bit too "bossy"--that they took over too much.
This is with the scrappy sashings--the way Bonnie made hers. I liked it fine, but I started thinking about putting my own stamp on the project--I could make it like Bonnie's and it would look nearly exactly like Bonnie's. That would be okay, but it wouldn't be "mine."
So I was stuck in indecision, and I hate that. Meanwhile, I got distracted working on my Blogger Girls BOM, etc. Once I finished it, I got this back out. I really wanted to finish it prior to moving, as I didn't want to lose any of the pieces. I got it out and put it back up on the design wall to make a decision. And my decision was just to finish it already! Sometimes it is possible to think too much--I needed to sew.
Actually, I had several more of the blocks to finish, and then I made the 200+ flying geese for the border and when it was time to start sewing everything together, I just went ahead and used the star sashing strips. I reminded myself that they would be a half inch narrower, once the sew allowances were sewn, and that may help "minimize" the bossiness. I think it did.
I finished it on Saturday. I couldn't photograph it outside that day as we had contractors here installing a new door to the back deck. On Sunday, it was too windy, so I finally got some pictures Monday. Although it looked nice and still outside, once I took it out, sure enough--a breeze came up. Doesn't that always happen?
The middle went together very easily, but the borders took forever. Have you ever noticed that? You get a fairly complex quilt done and think the border will only take an hour or so and it takes an entire day. Or two!
I love this quilt for several reasons: First and most importantly because it represents my class with Bonnie Hunter. Secondly, because I've always wanted a red/cream quilt. And finally, I love the complexity of Bonnie's patterns and all of the pieces and kinds of fabric that went into it.
I think that I listened to at least 3 Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn while working on it. I like Mitch Rapp, but he's no Jack Reacher, or maybe I "kept my distance" from the series a bit since I know that Vince Flynn passed away last year, and there may not be any more books.
Have a great day!