Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Grab Bag

Hi Everyone,

A while back, during my big spending spree, I saw a grab bag or "surprise package" on the Fat Quarter Shop's sale page.  They had several boxes of civil war reproduction fabrics for $99 each, and each was purported to contain 12 pounds, or at least 34 yards of fabric.  I thought that as a service for all of you, I would order one so we could all see what it contained.

I'll admit that it was a bit like Christmas when it arrived!  It was a big, heavy box.


Most of the pieces were at least a yard, some were longer, and several were 2/3-3/4 of a yard.  

These pieces were extra wide quilt backing.  I think they are each a yard.  I love extra wide backing to use as borders for large quilts, but they could also get used as part of a backing.  I love the floral one!  I've used the brown one on the right before.  I think it was the only fabric I got that I already had.



There were lots of blues!  I l really like the stripe in the photo below.


These are some lights.






I was please to get some CW purples as my selection was a bit skimpy.

This is the smallest piece I recieved.


More browns.

I was quite pleasantly surprised with all that I recieved.  It is a great selection of nice, usable fabric.  My only disappointment:  no red!

I  measured everything and totaled it up and this box did contain 34 or more yards!  That means it was a tad less than $3 a yard--not bad for today's prices.  Would I get one again?  Maybe, if they could guarantee that it would have a lot of red fabric!

Have a great day!
JoAnne

18 comments:

  1. That's awesome, JoAnne! I always wondered if they really were worth getting. Thank You for checking this out for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific investment! I had to chuckle at your comment, "I thought as a service to all of you..." What a great way to phrase that...and it truly was a service to us because you took the time to show us what was in there. Now we know it's worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I would be like a kid in a candy store, opening that box! Sad that there was no red, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great deal...and you were so nice to provide this service for all of us! Enjoy your new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had wondered about those, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great surprise box, JoAnne! I'm sure it was like Christmas, huh?

    Thanks for sharing the photos... brought a little happy into my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had wondered about them also. Thanks for taking one for the team so we could see what was inside! LOL ;-) It looks like you got a great box of fabric!!! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say that's a good deal! I've always wondered what is in those grab bags; thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun splurge. No green, either? That is where I am low. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a nice selection and a good deal if you need to beef up a part of your stash. Sorry it didn't have any red!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great deal but too bad there weren't any reds at all. I've always been tempted by the FQS grab bags but have never had the nerve to actually go for one. Thanks for making the sacrifice for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. NIce score!!! And thank you for your most excellent service...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting seeing what you received in the grab bag. I used to order grab bags from a place in California which is no longer in business. I think they were all RJR fabrics and seconds. Your score is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You ended up with some nice fabrics--especially the blues! I'm always afraid to take a risk, figuring I'd end up with a box of orange and pink--not exactly my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you, a nice box of reds please.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Joanne, what a nice selection of fabric! I also love reds and that would have been my only disappointment as well. I am surprised by the generous size of some of the remnants! I might be tempted to try a box myself! thanks for stopping by and very nice to meet you as well.
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wondered about those. Now I will order one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found you from the comments on Moniek's blog on her license plate. I guess I was looking for more friends with ties to SD! I've always been curious what these grab boxes contained... Great post!

    ReplyDelete