At the beginning of the year, I, like most of you, looked over everything in my quilting room to decide what I want to work on this year. For inspiration, I looked through my books. I have so many books full of projects that I love, but don't seem to ever make! Kim Diehl, Jo Morton, Edyta Sitar, and other various quilters have so many gorgeous quilts in my favorite style--scrappy. I decided that this year, I would focus on making some of them.
I chose a few particular patterns that I love and jotted down the requirements. I added all those requirements together into a list that read a bit like this:
2.5" dark/med squares: 268
2.5" light squares: 256
4" red squares: 16
4" blue squares: 16
1.5" squares: 765
I began with the contents of my scrap drawer--cutting what I found into the necessary shapes.
Next I got out my containers of strips and cut them into 2.5, 2 and 1.5 inch squares.
Then I got out my fat quarters and began cutting a good quantity of each color. I started by choosing the smaller bits of fabrics, but I did cut from some of the larger pieces, too. It was while in the middle of this that I went to Ikea and got the new storage for them.
After what seemed like days of work--because the cutting was mixed up with the reorganization, I ended up with this:
A container full of 2 inch squares.
An overflowing container of 1.5" squares
And 2 containers full of 2.5" squares!
When I began this cutting bee, I thought I would run to the dollar store to get some containers. Then I remembered that I have these "disposable" plastic containers that I use every holiday season when I bake cookies. They sit around, unused, most of the year, so I decided to borrow them for my quilting. We'll have to see if they make it back to the kitchen for baking next year....
This should be enough to make 4 or 5 of the projects that I've chosen. I also did the cutting for an upcoming class that I'm taking in early April. I don't think I've shared on my blog yet, but I'm signed up for a Bonnie Hunter class!!!!! I'm so excited. I was crossing my fingers that she would be teaching Jamestown Landing, which I really want to make, but instead, she will be teaching Turkey Tracks (my second choice quilt.) She did it all in red and neutrals and I will be making mine the same. So all the pieces I need for that are all cut and I've got a good supply of red "strings" going.
I also put together a few kits to take with me later this week. I'm going on a retreat from Thursday to Sunday. I decided to go with some kits because I tend to make cutting errors if I'm distracted, so I'm trying to minimize that. Plus, I wanted to limit the sheer quantity of stuff I need to take. (As if--there is still going to be a huge pile of stuff!)
All in all, it is pretty boring stuff to blog about, but should result in more interesting posts down the road!
Have a great day!