Boy, did I hear from some of you about what it was I worked on at the retreat! It was only then that I realized I didn't photograph my own stuff! I couldn't believe it. Today it is stormy and seriously gloomy and so not good for photography, but I will take some pictures later and share them with you.
One potential project I did take with me was my baggie of tiny cakestand blocks.
I'm sure you remember these from previous posts. They were the product of a Sew Along over at the Temecula Quilt Co. blog. We made one of these little blocks every day in July--so we had a pile of 31. I got all 31 done along with a few spares. I always try to make a few extras to be able to trade out if need be. Anyway, I took them and some fabric along with me in case the blog posted the directions for the two settings. It didn't during the retreat.
Yesterday the relevant post was published. You can find it here. There was a bit of a bonus as instead of just two settings, there was also a third.
The first version used 31 blocks,
the second used 32,
and the third required 50.
Guess which one I preferred? Yes, the third one. The thing that ticked me off, though, was that I had cut the pieces for plenty of extra blocks, but when I was packing for the retreat and organizing everything, I decided I didn't need them anymore and tossed them. My husband empties all the trash each week, so they were long gone. Ugh! I considered getting things out and cutting more. For about 5 minutes until I told myself to get real and just choose another setting! I could do either of the other two. In the end I decided on the first quilt.
Doing either of the first two meant not having to match any of those tiny basket points to each other, so that was a factor. But the first one has that scalloped border, and scalloped border make my heart go pitty-pat!
I have the flimsy together now and hope to quilt it soon. Then I can cut the scallop and bind it. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. The only thing is that I followed the directions which said to cut the inner border at 1.5" and the outer border at 3." When I got it together, I thought the inner border was way too fat, and I wish the outer border was a little wider. I ripped things off and trimmed the inner border down so that the finished width is a half inch. I couldn't recut the outer border as I was out of fabric. But this looks a lot better.
With the rain it is a perfect day to sew, however we are out of milk, bread, and a few other essentials so I need a break so I can get some groceries!
Have a great day!