Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Favorite Schnibble

The Another Year of Schnibbles group is taking a bit of a break until May.  However, since everyone loves a parade, we are having one the first of February to share our favorite Schnibble.

Just in case there are people out there reading this blog that don't know what a Schnibble is, it is a line of patterns designed by Carrie Nelson under her  Miss Rosie pattern company.  You can see them here.  The Another Year of Schnibbles group is organized and the parades are shared by Sinta and Sherri at their blogs.  I only began last year, but they have been doing it for at least 2 years.  I have had so much fun!  I can't thank them enough for organizing it all, it must be lots of work, but I have so looked forward to the first of the month to see the parades!  Those days were the highlight of last year.

A favorite Schnibble quilt?  How can I possibly choose?  The reason that I LOVE making Schnibbles is because they use charm packs plus sometimes a bit of yardage.  Making them has allowed me to play with fabrics that I wouldn't necessarily have in my stash.  They have allowed me to explore  so much.  In this case it is the process that I really love.  As for the quilts, some I have gifted and some I have stacked in my closet.  I only have three hanging up.  So I have to ask myself, those three must at least be favorities since I have them on display, right?  Hmmm, I don't know.  It is sort of like asking which child is your favorite.  They all have their own purpose, personality, and history. 

I must admit that I am a very "influenced/relational" quilter.  By that, I mean that I remember what is going on in my life or in the world while I'm making a quilt.  I have had several quilts that were very nice quilts, and came out beautiful, but I could never stand looking at them because of what they represented or reminded me of.  One in particular I was piecing years and years ago during a Presidential election that didn't come out my way--and I finally donated it.  I wouldn't even give it to a family member.  I have learned to not work on a project in situations like that!  So choosing a favorite quilt for me doesn't just mean how much I like a particular quilt--but also how I felt while I made it.

I really like all of the Schnibbles that I have made, but so far, none is a favorite.  If I continue in this philosophical bent of mind, I would have to say that the next one is usually my favorite.  The dream of the "beautiful quilt yet to be made " is what makes me a quilter.  But, I didn't want to take a picture of my Schnibble patterns and stack of charm packs.  I suspect I should have a nice photo of a quilt to share for the parade.

So, with that in mind, I do have a favorite photo of a Schnibble.  That is really easy!  I love this picture way more than I like the quilt.


I love how the colors and shapes of what is in/on the water is reflected on the quilt.  I also really like the composition.  But most of all, I remember taking it.  It was just before we left Hawaii and I knew that I wanted to put Hawaii in the picture, some how.  I got my husband to set out with me one weekend afternoon, and we looked around for a place where we could get turquoise water and palm trees in a photo.  There were palm trees here, too, but they are pretty high up in the sky, so it was tricky getting them in a photo.  We spent some time trying out different compositions and taking many pictures, and in the process, had a fun afternoon.  So when I look at this picture, I think of that day and fun we had.  I like this picture so much, in fact, that I use it as my wallpaper on my computer.  In case you are wondering about the quilt, though, it is from the pattern Doc (it is a card trick block) and the fabric was from my stash.  I had lots of black and white, and white and black prints and wanted a place to use them.  I chose to combine them with turquoise because I totally fell for turquoise while I was in Hawaii.  My favorite color will always be red, but turquoise is currently my second favorite.

So there you have it:  I can't choose a favorite Schnibble (yet) but I do have a favorite photo of a Schnibble!

Have a great day!
JoAnne

4 comments:

  1. Love that picture. Beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc is beautiful and even has extra special sentiments-- it's a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you originally posted the pictures of this quilt, it blew me away! I just love this color combination!! Spectacular!!! Don't tell anyone, but it just might be my favorite Schnibble ever........seriously!!! You've inspired me to try this color combination in an upcoming quilt. I ran across some blue and black and white fabrics in my stash yesterday while I was choosing fabrics for a new quilt. I like your color combination so much, it just stuck with me. I hope you don't mind :-) I tend to use lots of white for backgrounds and I love that you change it up. I think you may have made one with a red background that I like too. Wow, this ended up being one long comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Schnibbles quilt. Love the setting too. Very nice! My favorite Schnibbles that I entered in the Parade is Spot made with Vintage Modern fabrics.

    ReplyDelete