Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Another Finish

Hi Everyone,

I have finished another major project!  Yeah!  Back in October, I took a class from Marcie Patch.  This quilt is called Old Elegance, and you can find the pattern on her website here.

I have been calling this project my "chocolate covered cherries quilt" in reference to my color scheme.  Marcie is such a great teacher and I feel as though she is a new friend!  I also fell in love with her patterns--they are right up my alley--and I have a pile of them waiting for me to get to them.

Without further ado, here are some pictures:

Obviously, this is the entire quilt top--hanging from my clothesline.  As soon as I was done photographing the quilt, I hung out our bedsheets.  I can't wait to go to bed tonight!  I LOVE the way sheets that have been hung to dry outside smell...

Back to the quilt...


Here is a closeup of the blocks.  There are two, the star block and the fourpatch block.  All I had left to do on this was to complete a dozen of the stars, and then assemble the top.  And I even had the units done, I just had to sew the nine squares together to make the block.  It didn't take too much work, but right in the middle of it, I got a horrible headache and ended up in bed for most of Tuesday afternoon.  I'm back to normal now.

When it came to the border, I knew I wanted to miter the corners.  I suspected that the border fabric would really lend itself to a pretty miter, and I wasn't disappointed!

Now all I have to do is decided how I want it quilted and then send it off.  I'm really pleased with how it came out, but the best thing is making a new quilting friend and blog buddy!  Thanks Marcie!

JoAnne

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Joanne, it so pretty! Congrats on a great finish! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, JoAnne! And looks so much more complicated than those two blocks really are! I love that about patterns.....when they are easier than they look. And I love that border fabric, too! Nice miter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnne, it is an amazing quilt!!! I love everything!!!! The fabrics are so rich, striking design and your expert piecing...it is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so very pretty! If you hadn't pointed out the blocks, I would never have seen it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's beautiful, JoAnne! I was trying to "take it apart" to see how it was constructed. I didn't immediately recognize it as a 9-patch between the stars. Looking more closely, it's really a snowball with a star in the middle and a 9-patch, right? Except, of course, it's exquisite.

    I love sheets hung out to dry but I only hang them out in the spring, summer, and fall. I'm looking forward to sun-dried sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Very Impressive. You sure have started this new year with a bang! Great job on the mitred corners...you are a real pro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful quilt. You have done an amazing job with those mitred corners and directional print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, my goodness!! I love, love, love that border fabric. Do you happen to recall the pattern/line it was from? It absolutely was the right one for a mitered border!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful quilt & borders !

    ReplyDelete
  10. You fabric choices did not disappoint! Your quilt turned out great! The red is a nice alternative to the blue. So glad to have met you too and to have made a new friend!

    ReplyDelete