Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Play Time

 


After working and finishing those two major projects, I was in the mood to have some fun with a fresh, smaller project.  Of course, the perfect solution is to make a Schnibble.  I seem to be acquiring  charm packs and coordinating yardage at an alarming rate, so all Ihad to do was choose a fabric line, and match it to a fun Schnibble pattern and then get down to it!

I love that there isn't too much thinking about fabric choices when I make a Schnibble.  I have read all the instructions, books, and blog entries written by Carrie Nelson, so I have learned that not every charm pack works with every pattern--you sort of have to look at the fabrics available and see if they will work with the pattern you choose.  I decided I wanted to play with Chicopee--a line of fabric that was out last fall.  Everyone was blogging about it and talking about snapping it up, so I ordered some.  Then it arrived and I looked through it and thought, "Oh..  Okay...  Hmmm... "  If there was ever a line of fabric that is the total opposite of my usual style, this would be it.  However, I'm trying to push myself in different directions, so I decided to play with it. 

Next I flipped through my Schnibble patterns and books looking for a pattern that would work.  I thought that Lincoln would do, and when I went through the fabric squares, it would, but I didn't think the stars and stripes would work in this fabric as well as something else, so I moved on.  Finally I settled on McGuffy.  It isn't a pattern that would be in my top 10 either, but I thought it would work really great with Chicopee.
This is not my version--just a picture of the pattern.

So this morning I got started cutting and then sewing.  I LOVE this pattern!  It is so easy and FUN--it really is like playing.

Then I got interrupted.  We had an Official Army Function to go to.  In the Army there is a long tradition of New Year's Day Receptions at the Commander's house.  Well, it is long past New Year's Day, but ours was today.  It requires dressing up--for spouses who aren't in the military, the dress code is "semi-formal" which means dressy church clothes.  Don't forget that I lived in Hawaii for three years, so most of my dresses have flowers on them and are worn with sandals.  I didn't think that would work for Southern Virginia in the winter, so I was forced to look in the back of my closet at the dresses I owned before Hawaii and which require hose and nice (with heels) shoes.  Ugh.  My husband had to wear his dress uniform--the one with all the gee gaws--the bling--the "schwag."  I should have taken a photo, but when we were getting ready I was "pulling faces" and grumbling.   I mean who schedules something at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon?!  On the way I was speculating at the poor turnout I expected, however, many more people than I expected attended, and all in all, it was fun meeting some new people and having "sparkling" conversation.   I guess if given a choice, I am very happy hanging out at home, quilting, etc. but when I do make myself get out I have a really good time.  When we got home, I was too desperate eager anxious to get out of the shoes and hose to care about a picture.  Oh well.  Maybe next time!

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!  Maybe I will have pictures of my new project next time.

JoAnne
 

7 comments:

  1. I would never have guess you would ever have bought the Chicopee palette! I'm shocked! But I think it's going to look great with that pattern! Can't wait to see it!

    And yeah.....next time take a pic before you go! My hubby and I don't have many pics of ourselves dressed up, except for at Navy functions and balls. And I'm so glad we took the pics, because you'd never guess we could look that good now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, please tell me what a Schnibble is, JoAnne. I've searched it on the internet but can't quite seem to get an explanation.

    I'm a homebody (maybe read semi-introvert) who would rather spend time with folks I know than people I don't. I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this collection and can't wait to see what you have made. Have a beautiful week end. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hose? Heels? Ewwww... however, one must sometime suffer to fit in, yes? I'm glad you had a great time at the reception and got to meet a bunch of new folks!

    Not sure what I would do with Chicopee but... you've selected THE PERFECT pattern for it! I do like it very much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can't wait to see how McGuffy turns out in Chicopee! I did McGuffy a couple of years ago and loved making it. Such a fun pattern. And I know what you mean about wanting to stay home... I work at a financial institution and have to "dress up" nice all week so on weekends, I really enjoy staying home in my yoga pants and big sweater! I hate having to wear hose and heels on the weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rather you than me dressing up!

    I look forward to seeing how your Chicopee quilt looks.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your version of this McGuffy quilt! Would loved to have seen a "dress up" picture!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete