Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Easy Street Part 4

Hi All,

Friday morning Bonnie released the next step in Easy Street.  More flying geese and some cutting.  The geese were easy enough, it was the cutting that took the most time for me.

Friday morning it also became abundantly clear to me that my cell phone was on its last leg and I should get a new one before the old one died and I lost stuff.  I got one Friday night and it has been a frustrating weekend for technology, believe me!  We even had to stop back in the cell phone store today to get some questions answered.  It is mostly my own fault--if I had just got the newer version of my old phone, it would have been pretty easy, but nooo, I had to switch phone brands, systems, etc.  Ugh.  Anyway, it is my own fault and I should be functioning more or less back to normal soon.  (I hope.)  What is it about getting a new "smart phone" that makes me feel so dumb?  When you factor in the fact that my home email wasn't working all weekend, too, it just hasn't been a technology-friendly few days.

Luckily I could escape to the quilting room where everything was normal and intuitive!!  I began by cutting the pieces for the flying geese.  I had leftovers from before, both cut and in strips, so that didn't take too long.  I was a bit nervous though with my color selections.  More blue and blue units.


I'm trusting my choices though and am reminding myself that it will turn out to be sensational!  I like these units.  They look like chevrons or little arrowheads!

The cutting involved red fabric.  I'm also working on and off on a quilt for our new king-sized bed and for it I also needed a big variety of red.  Bonnie said to use as much as possible, so I decided to go through my red bin and cut as much fabric as possible. 

It worked out really neat to cut for both projects at the same time.  For the king quilt, I needed 7" and 4" squares.  For Easy Street I needed 145 3.5" squares.  This is what I did.

I got out the pieces of fabric (mostly fat quarters to half yards and smaller "chunks.")  I pressed them and layer 4 pieces at a time.  Here you can maybe make out the four different fabrics.

 
I straightened the edge and then cut a 7" strip.  The width of the fabrics is about 18" plus or minus an inch here or there.




 
So that gave me a strip 7" x 18" (or thereabouts)



 
So I turned the strip and cut two 7" squares.  Seven twice is 14", so that left a chunk left over that is 7" x around 4"
 
 
I trimmed that chunk to 3.5"  Now it is 7" x 3.5"
 
 
Then I cut it in half, giving me two 3.5" squares for Easy Street!  No waste!  I LOVE THIS!
 
 
Next I cut a 4" strip off my layered pieces and subcut into the 4" squares that I also need for the king quilt.

I was able to cut for two quilts in roughly the same time as it takes to cut for one!   I got out 70-75 different fabrics, pressed them, cut the pieces, and folded up the rest of the fabrics and put them away, and I only had to do it once for both projects.  I only cut two squares from each fabric for Easy Street, so I will really have a variety!

Boy this next step is the one that hope is easiest!  We are leaving Saturday morning for Christmas and won't be back til the following Friday, so I have to get the next step done on the same day so I can link up next week! 

Have a great day everyone!
JoAnne

14 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like you've been very efficient. :-). Love those flying geese units... Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, cutting for 2 projects at once. You and I must live near each other, because my server has been MIA all weekend too.
    Judy Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have been busy. Loving the flying geese blocks. x Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your two blues look lovely. You must feel pleased to have saved so much time cutting. I too had extra from last time, which was a time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so much fun to see other colors used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your version of Easy Street when all is finished. I think your color choices are going to be great.

    Cheryl in Friendsville
    www.katydidart.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your 2 shades of blue look great. Can't wait to see it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Easy Street is looking great! I love when cutting comes out so "easy peasy"!!

    Have a Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also using blue/red combination. Wasn't sure at first but am now liking it more. I'm a little behind but hope to get all done after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see this quilt together, and the ones using holiday fabrics!
    Sharyn in Kalama

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius cutting! I love getting pieces cut for more than one project at a time.....mainly because I hate the folding and putting away the yardage part! I think I saw on SueBee's blog, that when she is making that first cut to square up the edges, she cuts a wider piece, maybe an inch or so wide, then she has strings to use later! I thought that was also genius, and have been doing it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very smart of you to get the parts for both quilts cut at the same time. Your blues look very nice. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea to use two different shades of blue for two of Bonnie's colors! I can't wait to see how this turns out...I love patriotic quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your blues look great together. Fantastic idea for double cutting the red fabrics.

    ReplyDelete