While going through things in my quilting room, I unearthed a pile of these little samplers that I had more or less finished.
Whatever the frames were painted or filled with, if they fit, I brought them home. I stripped out the back, whatever "picture" was inside, and the glass. Then I painted them black. While the paint was drying, I stretched the stitcheries over foamcore and pinned them into the edges. When the pieces were all done, I put them into the frames, sealed up the back, and put on hangers if needed. This is what I ended up with:
These two are in identical frames--I found the pair of them for $4. They were originally a pinkish "whitewash" and inside were several layers of mats with seashells in the middle. See what I mean about if the size and shape were right? I wish I had taken "before" pictures.
This frame was originally gold and I love the texture! It had a small print in it, too. Most of these were little "framed art" pictures--not empty frames. I wasn't afraid to strip off the back and repurpose them, though. Especially if it only cost a few dollars. The star button was supposed to be a charm.
This is the only frame I bought new. I loved the wooden "mat." It was stained and the frame was shiny black. I crackled right over the stain on the insert and love how it came out. I mat painted the frame just like the others. The star button on this one was supposed to be a charm, as well.
What I love most is that they are finished! I didn't spend but $12 or so to get them done and I love the way they look! Yes, I could have spent considerably more, but I don't think it was necessary. The decisions are over and they are ready to hang... whenever we get to Virginia, find a house, get our stuff, and unpack!