Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

More Fun with Terrain

Last time I showed you the Terrain flimsy I made for my sister's wedding present.  This time I'm going to show you some accessories.  When I make a wedding quilt, I usually like to make a bed skirt and other pieces to complete the look.  I find it especially important if the colors aren't typical "home dec" colors.  The Terrain quilt was somewhat easier because the background is white.  Instead of making everything, I had been looking at the Moda Bakeshop blog and found something that inspired me.  I just spent over a half hour trying to find the post that inspired me, but I couldn't.  What I did find were three of four projects that I "must do" ha ha. 

So I ordered a plain white pleated bedskirt and 2 tailored shams.  (King size!)  I also got a Terrain jelly roll and I went to work and created these:
This is the bedskirt. 

And this is one of the pillowshams. 


Behind the skirt.
 So what I did was take the jelly roll and pull out one strip of each fabric.  I had a yard of the purple fabric for the "backing" so I did not use the purple strip from the jelly roll.  I cut the strips in half and created strip sets.  I randomly sewed strips together until they were no more than 24 inches wide.  I stopped there because I wanted them to fit under my ruler without having to fold.  Once all the strips were sewn into strip sets, I cut across them making 2.5" strips.  So now I had strips of  squares.  After I subcut all of the different strip sets, I sewed them all together to give me yards and yards of squares.  I sewed the strip to the bottom edge of the bedskirt, right sides together. (Right on top of the hem.)  I pressed the strip set over, to extend the length of the bedskirt.  Next, I cut purple strips wider than the 2.5 inch strip sets.  I think I cut them 2.75 or 3 inches wide.  I sewed them end to end to get yards.  I pressed a 1/4 inch hem along one long, long edge of the purple strip, and then sewed the other long raw edge along the raw edge of the stip set, and then I pressed it around to the back.  Cutting it wider left it possible to have a bit of the purple strip showing on the front.

I carefully pinned it into place and then stiched from the front.  In the picture above, you can see the bit of purple from the front--creating a "binding-like" look.  I did the same thing around the pillow sham.   In that case, I just enclosed the flange of the tailored sham. 

In retrospect, I wish I had taken photos of the process, but I'm delighted to have been able to customize ready-made objects instead of making them all myself. 

I still have many jelly roll strips, misc. blocks from the quilt, and other scraps.  Usually, throwpillows and or a wall quilt made of "leftovers" becomes the first anniversary gift.  Or the third.  Or the fifth!

2 comments:

  1. The quilt top in the last post is beautiful and so are the pieces you made to go with it!! Thanks for explaining how you did it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good, those look great and what a great idea! xo

    ReplyDelete