How was your weekend? Are you relaxed and enjoying the festive season or going crazy trying to keep up with everything? I had a pretty good weekend, not too busy, but still "Christmas-y."
This is my first post about Bonnie Hunter's current mystery quilt, Allietare. I'm doing it this year! I have done two others in the past: Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll and Easy Street. I miss it when I'm not doing it, but usually I skip it when I don't have the colors in my stash to play along. Everytime I have done it, I've changed the colors to my favorite color scheme, RWB. This year is the same.
Bonnie's colors are based on her trip to Italy: Golds, reds, blacks, a constant grey, and neutrals. I thought it over and decided on these changes: Reds--easy! Blacks? Now my navy. Golds? I was planning to include gold, but after some thought (and looking over my stash) I decided to substitue light/medium blue for her gold. Her constant, gray, is now gold for me. And neutrals are still neutral scraps. I have tons of fabrics in all these colors but this year I have been doing many projects with Moda's Minick and Simpson fabrics, so I have lots of scraps of them and the fat quarters are handy, so lots of my quilt will be made with their fabric. I am including other fabrics, too, as "variety is the spice of life!"
This week's assignment was a bit complex. We were to make 30 sets of 4 "knotless bowtie units."
One set is arranged from top to bottom on the left of the photo. The column on the right are other sets stacked up. This picture shows 5 complete sets. I have 12 of the sets completed, but all of the cutting is done, so I will continue to sew the others this week. For each set, we use the same red and blue, but use scrappy neutrals.
I thought that having "matched sets" made for more tedious cutting. If it was all scrappy, I would layer 4-6 strips, cut the triangles or tapezoids, and throw them all in baskets. To get matched sets, either I would stack a few strips, cut, then have to sort them all out into matching piles, or else just work with one fabric at a time. I tried it both ways and neither seemed to save much time. Luckily, I was listening to a good audio book and just enjoyed the process! I'm sewing in batches of 6. I can manage that amount without mixing up anything.
Since this is my first post, I thought I would share photos of the other steps.
The first step was to make HSTs from the contant and neutrals.
Step two was to make these "Santa Hat" units as well as some other cutting. Remember, my constant gold is grey in Bonnie's quilt.
And Step Three was to make 4 patches. Bonnie's quilt has golds instead of my lt/med blues.
We even managed to get to see Star Wars, The Force Awakens on Saturday afternoon! It was so good, I can't wait to see it again!
Today is a cleaning day for me, Tomorrow is a Bee day, and then Wednesday is cookie baking with my nieces.
Have a great day!