Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Austin Bluebird is Finished!

Hi Everyone,

I hope your July has been a good month.  Summer has been slow to get underway here in Northern Indiana, but it has finally arrived with a few really hot, muggy days.  I've been staying inside and sewing.

I was really excited to finally finish my Austin Bluebird quilt!  I just began it back on National Quilt Day, March 21, so I think I made great progress on it.  I was determined not to let it languish and become a UFO that sits around for years (sort of like Sarah's Revival.)   I had the kit, but I ended up using lots of my other Minick and Simpson fabrics for a more "scrappy" look.


This is the quilt top finished as the directions state.  I have known for awhile that I wanted to border it.  I knew I wanted to "float" the center with more cream strips and then add some sort of sawtooth/dogtooth border around that.

I turned to one of my most favorite books ever:

I love this book--it is perfect for designing borders of all types and complexities.  It's by Judy Martin and Marsha McCloskey, in case you can't see the small print.

I decided on an appropriate border and that the units would finish at 4".  This means that my center needed to be divisible by 4.  I measured the center carefully, decided about how large I wanted it to be (divisible by 4) and then figured how wide to cut my floating cream border.  A little math, a little confidence, and it was easy enough.

I had already precut the units I would need for the border.  In fact, I took it with me to retreat in June and had them already made.


The look would be a shaded saw tooth border.  Once I attached the cream strips, I next began to assemble the sawtooth units.  Big Problem!  (I know--this seems to be the Summer of Mistakes for me, so I shouldn't have been surprised.)  I carefully made sure that I sewed the units exactly like the photo, so I wouldn't have any mistakes, but the mistake was that each border strip needs to be made up of half like these, and half a mirror image.


Luckily, I had plenty of fabric left, so I made a bunch more units in the reverse.  The next problem was that I now needed to relook my center with the cream strips.  I had made sure that it was divisible by 4, but now it needed to be an even amount--that is the measurement of the center, say 88 inches, divided by 4 would by 22.  That is an even number.  This is important because the sawtooth border has to be divided in half.  I had a 50% chance of it being right, but of course, this being the summer that it is, mine was an odd number.  I was in luck, though, that both the side-to-side and the top-to-bottom were "odd."  I needed another 4 inches all around the center.

At that frustrating point, I quit sewing.  We needed to go somewhere, I can't remember where right now, but as we were driving in the car, I was telling my husband about the mess I was currently in.  He asked if I could't just add more cream to the borders.  I had already cut the cream borders and sewn them on.  I had purchased 3 yards of extra cream fabric so I could cut the strips with the length of grain and not need to piece them, The leftover fabric, I had cut up to make the sawtooth units.  I had some left, but only short pieces.  I also didn't want the look of two long, cream strips sewn to each other--looking like a mistake.  I thought I may have to get three more yards of cream and start all over, but I didn't want to have to do that.

In thinking that over, I did realize that I just needed to add 2 inches all the way around the quilt, and that would give me the extra 4 that I needed for the sawtooth borders.  I finally got the idea to "frame" out the cream with a 1" finished navy stip, followed by a 1" finished cream strip.  Being narrow, I wouldn't mind if the 1" cream strips were pieced together, rather than cut from one, long piece.

Here is how it came out.  You can see the wider cream floater, then the navy 1" strip and the other cream 1" strip and then the sawtooth border.



When viewed with the entire quilt, I love how it looks.  I think the navy "framing" strip really brings a lot to the party and makes more of a statement than if I just had the sawtooth border.




I really love the space that the wide cream border created, too.  I'm so excited to be finished with this quilt!  Now I just need to get it quilted.

If you are interested, the cream fabric from the kit is Moda Bella Snow.

Have a great weekend!
JoAnne


28 comments:

  1. Love how your finished quilt top look! The navy strip is just perfect I like it better then the original:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! A great finishing job. I am so glad you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful pattern (I have to order it somewhere ...) and I love how you finish it, congrats XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your determination paid off. That is an amazing quilt. The navy strip was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frustrating at the time, but it turned out to be a perfect border!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, mine is languishing inits box still maybe I will get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!! I love how the "mistake" turned out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out wonderful! Such a gorgeous quilt. I have that book too, a classic. Congratulations on a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The border treatment you added made the quilt even more beautiful. I've been working on this since January and am now finishing my last block, the huge applique with all the berries. I hope I'll have extra fabric for borders. Thanks for sharing your trials and finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PERFECTION !!!! I really like what you did with the border. It looks finished now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on such a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful..congratulation on this beauty..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...that is beautiful! Great job and you should be proud and feel accomplished finishing that so quickly. The border is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow--what a great finish! Funny how those challenges lead to wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish my mistakes came out as lovely as your did... BEAUTIFUL quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! It's awesome! Great design to begin with... but that border really makes it all pop! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It always amazes me how quilters can turn a mistake into something so planned looking and boy you sure nailed this one! Awesome job my friend. You are an amazing quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! No one will ever know this beautiful quilt has any "mistakes"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. JoAnne ... you should make "mistakes" more often if the end result is a quilt as beautiful as this one turned out! WOWZER!! Love, love, love the addition of the blue border ... I think it absolutely makes the quilt. I'm sure Minnick & Simpson would like to see how beautiful your quilt turned out ... you need to share a picture with them. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt is amazing and I love what you did with the border! The process of creating and succeeding is really fun! You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful finish and the extra borders just pop the quilt and yes.....best idea always make a better statement for the top. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful quilt--the border is awesome. I may have to add this book to my collection

    ReplyDelete
  23. JoAnne, the whole thing is beautiful. Love the border. I have that book too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The border is a delightful surprise. My Austin Bluebird Sampler has not been touched in a good while though I got halfway through the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your quit and the border does add to it. I have the pattern and you inspire me. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohh my... your quilt is stunning! Applause.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have you decided to stop posting on your blog?

    ReplyDelete