Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Out of Thread!

Ugh!  I was quilting away yesterday and ran out of thread.  It wasn't a surprise to me, when I started quilting this project back on Saturday, I thought I wouldn't have enough thread so I ordered more.  It would have been so convenient if when I ran out around 2, I could have skipped down to the mailbox and discovered the package from Superior Threads that I ordered over the weekend, containing more thread, but no such luck!

Instead, I worked on a different holiday project and got the tree decorated, but I really hated to abandon my machine quilting when I was in such a groove.  Normally, when I machine quilt (and it is only projects lap-sized or smaller) I simply meaner over the whole thing and call it done.  Most of my quilts tend to be scrappy and so there is a lot going on on the quilt top, so the meander is good.  However, on my current project, I didn't think it would work.

I would love to show a photo of the quilt, but it will have to wait until after Christmas, because I really want it to stay a surprise, but I will show a picture of some of the quilting I''m doing.

I learned the pattern from Leah over at The Freemotion Quilting Project and if you haven't checked out her blog, complete with awesome how-to videos, you should!  I have to say that I'm really pleased and somewhat impressed with myself.  I think I'm gaining the confidence to move away from the "safe" meander and work on developing new skills. 

I'm really hoping that package comes today!

Aloha,
JoAnne

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful free motion quilting :-) I love it! It is so frustrating to run out of thread, especially when you can't just run out and get some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is looking great JoAnne! I love Leah Day's stuff but have been intimidated by so many of the patterns that travel back over previous stitches. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Don't you just hate to run out of thread!?! It makes me crazy! And I love Leah's blog....I've learned so much from her! And.....your fmq is fabulous! Yay! The sneak peak of the quilt makes me really want to see it now! Love that flower in the corner! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your FMQ that you're doing on your quilt, and I LOVE polka dots, so I can't wait to see more of this quilt! Happy Holidays! xo

    ReplyDelete