Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Doll Quilt Swap

Hi Everyone,

I recently participated in the Doll Quilt Swap that was organized by the lovely Lori at Humble Quilts.  The rules were that the fabric should be Civil War era, and no side of  the quilt should be longer than 24 inches.  Once everyone signed up, Lori told us who we were sending a quilt to.  It wasn't partners--I didn't send one to the same person that sent me one.

Once I was all "official," I began looking for inspiration and found quite a bit.  I set about beginning my project and was machine quilting it when I realized that I didn't like the look of the machine quilting--it wasn't "antique" looking to me.  I will write a post all about that quilt and discuss it.  Meanwhile, the deadline for the swap was approaching rapidly!  I looked through my stash of completed quilts and came across a great one.


This was a Monthly Mini Project from the Temecula Quilt Company that I had made and hand quilted.  I made up a label and sent it to Debra in Toronto,


Because of all the lovely brown fabrics in it, I was inspired to send along some chocolate to match!  Fort Wayne has a wonderful chocolate shop, DeBrands, so it was a local product.

Watching all of the swapped quilts being shared in blogland was so much fun!  Lori started a facebook page, Humble Quilts, so we could see even more of them.  They are all so fantastic!  Needless to say, I was so excited to receive my quilt in the mail.  Coincidentally, it came from another Debra--Debra in Ohio.  I eagerly opened the box and in my excitement, I failed to take pictures of the wrappings.  It was all red!  Once I opened it, I was thrilled to find this sweet little four-patch quilt.


It is just what I was hoping for--a quilt that looks like it was made 150 years ago.  The fabrics are wonderful and she also hand-quilted it with really teeny, tiny stitches!  I really love the navy-blue border.  She said that she nearly made a RWB one for me, but then went ahead with this.  It is going to go up on my "wall of smalls" as soon as I rearrange things to make room.



I love the antique-looking backing fabric, too.

The quilt was not the only item, though.  She also sent me a pincushion made with an antique salt-cellar.  I adore pincushions made with vintage items, so I was thrilled.  She did make this Red, White, and Blue.  Her teeny piecing is remarkable!  She even glammed it up with a pretty decorative pin.  


Thanks so much Lori for hosting such a fun swap.  I can't wait for the next one!

Have a great day,
JoAnne

4 comments:

  1. I am so pleased to see that you love your little quilt and the salt cellar pin cushion that I made for you. For me, it was just a little bit stressful choosing what to make for you! :) I loved participating in Lori's swap and found all the little quilts so inspiring. What a fun way to start out the Summer, don't you think?
    I also love the little quilt that you sent!
    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope there is room on your mini wall for this cutie!

    ReplyDelete