Pages

Welcome

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric... Welcome to the Patriotic Quilter where I like to share all things quilty as well as red, white, and blue! Please feel free to look around and enjoy yourself! I would love to hear from you.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ice Skating Costume

Hi Everyone,

I think I mentioned a while ago that I was working away making my niece a skating costume.  She is 8 and figure skates competitively.

The music for this new program is "The Mexican Hat Dance" and so she required a costume that would continue that theme.  I Googled around for Mexican skating costumes, and didn't find much, so for inspiration, I Googled for traditional Mexican dresses and found lots of pictures of fancy, be-ribboned dresses like these:


Meanwhile, my sister ordered a pattern for me to use.  This one, to be exact:


I can't really recommend that you try one of these patterns unless you 1.  Know what you are doing or 2.  Have their instruction manual.  The instructions that are provided are extremely sketchy, at best.  Thanks to some youtube videos, and your advice, I got through it, though.

I selected red lycra 4-way stretch fabric and then hunted all over town for different colored strings of sequins.  I decided to use sequins instead of the ribbon on the traditional costume, as sequins are more eye-catching.  I also thought that the lace on the traditional costume was an important element, so I found some silver sparkly lace.

I spent several hours zig-zagging the sequins in place with clear, mono-filament thread and managed to break an entire package of stretch needles in the process.  Then I tackled the zipper, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.  Actually, the trickiest bit was setting in the "v" of the bodice, as it was hard to preserve the sharp point when using stretchy fabric.  Finally, it was all finished!

I mailed it off.  Remember, she lives several states away and we weren't able to fit it as I worked.  Anyway, it arrived this week, and she tested it out today!



  The skirt flounces wonderfully when she moves and spins.  I asked her what her favorite part was, and she said the sleeves.  Best of all, it fits!  She has a bit of growing room, too, which is good at that age.

I'm pleased with how it emulates the traditional dress nicely, but is still a skating dress.  I can't wait to see video of her first performance in it, which is Saturday.  (We weren't cutting it close, not at all, ha ha.)

I'm even more pleased that it is finished and now I can get back to sewing on cotton.  I'm off to retreat tomorrow!!

Have a great day!
JoAnne

15 comments:

  1. Wow, the skating costume came out great! She looks real cute in it too. I love watching figure skating on TV; maybe Winter Olympics 2026?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even more impressive now that I know what the inspiration was. You did a beautiful job, and I wish your niece all the best in her competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just adorable and the costume came out great....nice !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is very pretty. You did a nice job. I have just finished altering three prom dresses which were each two sizes too big. Two of them involved beading, so it was quite labor-intensive. I am so glad they are finished and I can get back to sewing with quilting cotton again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW ! I am very impressed ! The costume came out beautiful ! Great Job !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done! I used to sew clothing and costumes back before the quilting bug bit... now you couldn't pay me enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a FANTASTIC finish! I love the finished skating costume... and your niece looks adorable in it! I'd love to see the video of her performance... I'm sure that skirt will twirl beautifully!


    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! So if this quilting thing doesn't work out for you, there's always costumes! But I think the quilting thing is working beautifully... your niece looks darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks adorable and her dress looks very professional! I'm very impressed at how well it fits especially since she lives so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job on the skating costume! It's ways been a "fantasy" of mine to sew skating, dance, or gymnastics costumes. I always figured I'd need a serger to do it but looks like you managed just fine with a regular machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, JoAnne -- both the dress and the niece! You are a very proficient seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that qualifies you for an "Aunt of the Year" award, JoAnne ... it's beautiful, as is your niece. Wow ... looking at her I remember my nieces like it was yesterday and now they are in their late 20's and living all over the country!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Beautiful!! Well done on such a mammoth task! The costume fits really well considering you weren't able to fit it as you sewed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful costume! I think you met the criteria excellently. Such a difficult thing to sew!

    ReplyDelete